Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hunter's Point

The new series of paintings titled, HUNTER'S POINT, is coming along very well. Cortez Village, one of the last remaining working fishing villages in the state of Florida is the inspiration. The salty, genuine feeling of the village (similar to the likes of Avon Village in NC) continues to capture my attention; a slice of Old Florida that rests quietly, tucked away in a sheltered bay behind Anna Maria. Wooden skipjacks, long-line fisherman, real Florida fishing cottages, real Florida heritage. Authentic to the bone.

I have always been fascinated with Cortez. How could one not be? The ever-changing landscape of Florida continually frustrates me. From the cookie-cutter subdivisions to the strip mall revolution, from the condo giants to the addition of sidewalks in Anna Maria. How has Cortez managed to elude the masses. Or has it?

With the new Federal ban on long-line fishing, the Cortez way of life has been seriously threatened. Hopefully the locals will continue to fight the wave of progress that is bearing down on such a wonderful slice of real American living.

The pieces depict a utopian Cortez. Floating boats, weathered shacks, cast nets and docks are woven throughout the compositions. I have returned to canvas for these works, craving the weave of cotton and the soft interaction of the brushes against it. As I lay the last few layers on them, I can't help but wonder how my daughter will see Cortez when she is my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment